Friday, April 10, 2009

Mickey Mouse Birthday Cake








My other nephew's Birthday is next week... and this is my practice with royal icing before that big project comes! For this one he asked me for a chocolate Mickey Mouse cake. I'm not sure what possessed me to cover a chocolate cake with white icing... but it wasn't smart. I did a layer of icing and then put the whole cake in the freezer to firm up then I recovered with another layer to hide all of the chocolate crumbs. I know he likes icing so I'm sure he wont mind. I did the Mickey on top and sides out of royal icing. I printed out a picture of him online and covered with a piece of wax paper then piped Mickey's outline with a piping bag onto the wax paper. Next, I filled in the sections with thinned out royal icing in the appropriate colors. I did the same with the Mickey icons on the side. Then was the big moment... was Mickey going to actually come off the parchment without breaking into a million pieces? I said a little prayer and was pleasantly surprised to find out they all came off with relative ease. I then applied the Mickeys and surrounded the cake with one of his favorites, jelly beans!

1 comment:

archie said...

Wowsers!